Joanne Davis is a versatile corporate and general business lawyer. She has collaborated with clients at all levels of complex organizations in many industries, including the chemical, financial, health care and industrial sectors.
Prior to joining Dilworth IP, Joanne advised the senior business leaders of a multinational manufacturer on a wide range of global business matters, including joint ventures and alliances; finance; supply and procurement; licensing; tax planning implementation; confidentiality; leasing; international sales, marketing and distribution; compliance; government contracts; government agency/international project financing; governance and disclosure; policy promulgation, implementation and compliance; and toll manufacturing, service, consulting and outsourcing agreements.
At various times Joanne served as global Finance Counsel, advising various business functions (CFO, accounting, business development, treasury, tax, risk, and credit); Director of Litigation; Director of M&A Transactions and Director of Legal Operations. She had primary responsibility for the compilation and justification of a $20M annual legal budget and was project leader for innovative multi-departmental budget recordkeeping and reporting techniques.
Joanne started her legal career as an associate in the Manhattan office of Debevoise & Plimpton after clerking for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Joanne has a longstanding pro bono commitment assisting non-profit organizations with respect to organization, governance, operational and business matters.
- Parlayed a government cost accounting change into two first impression claims against the United States Department of the Army, resulting in $80 million in reimbursement for post-retirement benefits incurred in connection with contracts dating back to the 1940s. Joanne built and led the interdisciplinary team that formulated a unique litigation strategy subsequently acclaimed but unrepeated in national government contracting circles.
- Project manager for internal and external cross disciplinary resources working globally on four simultaneous major financial transactions (syndicated secured working capital line; bond tender; bond issuance, and securitization of receivables) which comprised a highly successful and complex $800+ million corporate bailout.
- As in–house counsel, Joanne was repeatedly sought after to undertake cross-disciplinary and breakthrough assignments, including the outsourcing of critical domestic business processes and first impression transactions in frontier jurisdictions.
- Negotiation and documentation of manufacturing joint ventures and alliances in Europe, Asia and Latin America, and the United States.
- As Director of Litigation, managed a corporate portfolio which included environmental, intellectual property, commercial, toxic tort and tort litigation.
- Teamed with Senior Vice President for Public Affairs to negotiate state relocation incentives.