1993, New York; 1997, Connecticut; U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit; registered to practice before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
1992, Albany Law School, J.D.
1989, St. John’s University, B.S., Chemistry
2016, Client Choice Award
2017, IAM Patent 1000 World Leading Patent Professional
Michael P. Dilworth
Michael P. Dilworth has 25 years of experience both as in-house and outside counsel. He is the founder of the successful IP law firm, Dilworth IP (established 2007), and was Chief IP Counsel of Chemtura Corporation. Michael is proficient in all practice areas of intellectual property: patent and trademark prosecution; IP transactions and due diligence; litigation; post grant proceedings; licensing of intellectual property; portfolio management and counseling; and opinions including freedom to operate, infringement and validity opinions. He is experienced in international patent laws and worldwide patent prosecution including PCT and EPO practice, and inter partes matters including nullity actions, oppositions, invalidations and cancellations.
- Launching and managing a successful IP law practice
- Lead and managed in house IP department for Chemtura Corporation
- Currently managing a global patent portfolio of patents for a publicly traded chemical company with $1.5B+ a year in sales. Preparing and filing US and PCT patent applications in the chemical arts
- Presently serving as primary US patent prosecution counsel for major international chemical company
- Negotiating joint development agreement involving complex intellectual property issues and the expenditure by the client of millions of dollars under the agreement
- Representing privately held polymer additives company as its sole IP counsel and managing the company’s 1000+ patent and trademark portfolio worldwide
- Substantially increased IP portfolio size and diversity for major international chemical company
- Drafted and prosecuted hundreds of U.S. patent applications in polymers, specialty chemicals, lubricant additives, renewable chemistry, agricultural chemicals, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, petrochemicals, and medical devices
- Managed a 2,500+ global corporate IP patent portfolio
- Represented a client on the IP aspects of the divestiture of a $10+MM product line
- Filed 60+ new US patent applications in 2 years for client’s business division
- Negotiating intellectual property, information technology and commercial agreements (supply agreements, licenses, joint development agreements, secrecy agreements, software licenses, and information technology service agreements)
Michael's fields of technology include agricultural chemicals, specialty chemicals, pharmaceuticals and diagnostics, organosilicon chemistry, organophosphorus chemistry, bromine chemistry, fatty acids, urethanes, lubricants, fragrance chemicals and compositions, cosmetic formulations, foods, polymers, catalysts, petroleum processing, medical and mechanical devices.