For more than 15 years Tim Johnson has taken a client-centric approach in helping innovative companies devise and execute sound intellectual property strategies in diverse and highly competitive industries. Prior to joining Dilworth IP, Tim served as Deputy General Counsel of Edgewell Personal Care (formerly Energizer) where he oversaw all patent-related activities for the company’s many well-known consumer products. By leveraging his years of in-house experience, Tim is well-suited to understand the needs and priorities of the corporate counsel he serves.
Tim is adept in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent application preparation and prosecution, freedom-to-operate and invalidity opinions, portfolio management, dispute resolution, and client counseling. He also has extensive knowledge of post-grant procedures in the US and abroad having successfully managed nearly two dozen disputes in various jurisdictions, including the US, China, Canada, Germany and the UK. As a proponent of alternative dispute resolution procedures, Tim has utilized arbitration and mediation to achieve favorable outcomes for his clients while, at the same time, reducing the time and resources spent throughout the dispute.
Tim knows the challenges that clients face when innovating because he’s been there himself, employing this perspective when guiding his clients in crafting IP strategies that fit their needs and bring their ideas to the world.
- Led and managed an in-house Patent department for Edgewell Personal Care, a publicly traded company with $3B market cap and more than 3,000 active patents and pending applications.
- Provided design counseling and conducted freedom-to-operate study in support of numerous product launches, including several devices that went to have more than $100M in annual sales.
- Managed numerous patent disputes in a variety of forums and geographical locations, including:
- Mediated a complex, multi-patent dispute that amicably settled litigation in 3 countries;
- Arbitrated numerous patent disputes to successful conclusions in the US and Europe;
- Managed an International Trade Commission complaint to resolution;
- Negotiated settlement agreements pre-litigation that avoided all expenditure of resources associated with dispute resolution.
- Negotiated a joint development agreement involving complex IP issues, as well as contract manufacturing and joint development terms for a product line with over $75M in annual sales;
Tim's fields of technology include the mechanical arts, fasteners/connectors, material science, injection molded devices, metallurgy, hard coatings, sensors, smart appliances, software, manufacturing processes, laminates, and electro-mechanical and IoT devices.